Life Can Be Heavy...

It has been a long time since my last entry, and for the very simple reason that life happens - until it doesn't. And health is there until it is not.

My father, the much-beloved patriarch of our family, was recently diagnosed with metastatic cancer.

Our rock.
Our Superman.
Our living example of faith, family, and hard work.

Suddenly, with one fateful sentence, everything we knew was flipped completely upside down and all our priorities changed. We learned about many scary terms. We thought many scary thoughts. And we cried ourselves to sleep, dreaming many scary dreams. After weeks and weeks in hospital, my father is back home with a road full of treatment and tests in front of him. And that road, it seems, may be shorter than we hoped.

Me and my Dad at Sick Kids in the 80s

But he is still here. 

He's some 40 lbs lighter and 2 drain tubes heavier, but he is here. The movements may be slower but the mind is clear and the will is strong. And our family is rallying like never before. I told my brother at one point, "do not mourn the living" - and I need to remind myself of this regularly. There is something to be said about reflecting and preparing for what lies ahead, but those moments cannot overtake the building of memories that can still occur. We must make the most of the time we have together.

Truly, none of us know how many days we have left. Awful diagnoses like this can happen to anyone at any time. Cancer and other terrible illnesses don't discriminate and don't care what big future plans you have. They come and they steal away that which matters most to us. So today, do what needs to be done. Say what ought to be said. Forgive what must be forgiven.

And love.
Love, my dear readers.

Love. Love. Love.

Comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear this Melissa and Gary, my heart truly breaks for both of you and your families ! I pray that there is some sunshine after the rain for all if you . The strength and determination your father has bestowed in both of you will be the strongest backbone through this . Sending prayers for all of you .

    ERIN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Deal on Baby Gear

Just Don't...Say This to the Mom of a Preemie

The Real Deal on Breastfeeding, Part II