The Real Deal on Breastfeeding, Part II

While in the NICU, my daughter was supplemented with formula until my milk came in and she learned how to feed effectively. Those two conditions had to be met in order for us to be discharged home. So since our arrival some four months ago, my little chunky monkey has been breastfed exclusively and will continue to be until we start solid foods in a few months. Even then, she will continue to be breastfed until, I hope, her 1st birthday. Perhaps beyond!


Four months in, and the girl and I have become old hats at this breastfeeding thing. It's casual and comfortable, and for the most part, it's easy. The new difficulty has been keeping her focused when she's so distracted by the goings-on around her. But overall it's been very successful; we are a lucky duo. I outlined some obstacles in a previous breastfeeding entry but there are other details worth sharing. So rookie mamas like me, please know:

- Breastfeeding can be quite painful, especially in the beginning. Latching hurts, letdown hurts, trying to wear a bra afterwards hurts. I was ill-prepared for how much discomfort there would be and found myself Googling thrush infections thinking the pain had to be abnormal. It wasn't. 

- Your nipples will take a beating and will need to toughen up. But in the early days, while they are a cracked and dry mess of discomfort, lanolin cream will be your friend. Use generously.

- Engorgement is awful in the beginning. Your breasts swell between feeds and seem to double in size. You can't even admire the way you look in a T-shirt because you are SO uncomfortable from the swelling. Hand expressing a few drops, pumping or of course feeding will help but all these things increase milk supply! And thus the zany cycle ramps up. It doesn't settle down until three or four months later. 

- From undersupply to oversupply: the babe was fussing, crying and pulling away during feeds and I couldn't figure out why - until I read about forceful letdown and oversupply issues on the KellyMom website (fabulous resource!). Apparently, milk was coming at her too much and too fast; this was apparent when I observed the letdown and stream while pumping. The solution was simply to alter our positioning and now it's a non-issue. But at the time it was concerning as we had already been well-established. Just goes to show you the changing nature of beginner breastfeeding!

You need to be committed to breastfeed. It's difficult for all and for some, impossible. But it's worth the effort and the attempt, just use the supports and resources around you!

Comments

  1. Wow. I never knew some of these things. And though I knew that breastfeeding was easy for me (yes, I really do mean EASY - it was almost 20 years ago now and I had no issues except for one short case each of mastitis and thrush), I didn't appreciate how easy I had it until I read this. Kudos to you and your support system (hubby, friends, family etc) for being so committed to breastfeeding. It really is one of the very best things you can do for your sweet, beautiful child. And thank you for spreading the word. You are making a difference.

    Monica
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica :) it's not always difficult but it CAN be, and I think that's the bottom line message that needs to get out to new parents. That, plus there is always help out there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Deal on Baby Gear

Just Don't...Say This to the Mom of a Preemie

The Real Deal on Identity